Scanning Mobility Particle Sizer (SMPS+C)
Size distributions of airborne nano- to micrometer particles with high sensitivity and resolution
The GRIMM SMPS+C systems are designed to measure size distributions in the size range 5 – 1110 nm. The SMPS+C system includes a
• Condensation Particle Counter (CPC) and a
• Differential Mobility Analyser (DMA).
There are several options for both components and any component may be ordered separately.
For the detection we offer two well-assorted product lines of CPCs, optimized either for stationary or mobile use, and described in detail on separate data sheets.
The classification is accomplished with well-proven DMAs. GRIMM DMAs feature the Vienna-Type design (Reischl et al. 1997, Winkelmayr et al. 1990), well known for high resolution and low diffusional losses. GRIMM offers a flexible design of the Vienna-type DMA with two electrodes of different length to measure a wide size range. The DMAs feature a built-in impactor that can be equipped with different nozzles.
Through combination with GRIMM optical aerosol spectrometers (“Wide Range Aerosol Spectrometer”, WRAS), measurement of size distributions in the extended size range from 5 nm to 32 µm is possible.
• Two Vienna type DMAs to measure a wide size range (5- 350 nm or 11 – 1100 nm)
• Both DMA and CPC can be upgraded and all components are compatible to each other
• Software allows different measurement modes including stepping mode, scanning mode, generation of mono-mobile particles, and using CPC as counter
• Many accessories to accommodate a variety of experimental needs
• 55-340: Electrostatic Classifier “Vienna”- M-DMA: 5 – 350 nm
• 55-900: Electrostatic Classifier “Vienna”- L-DMA: 10 – 1100 nm
• 55-U: Electrostatic Classifier U-DMA – Universal-Differential Mobility Analyser (two-in-one version)
• 5522-A: Neutraliser, Am-241, 3.7 MBq (needs licence)
• 5520: Neutraliser, annular Dielectric Barrier Discharge (aDBD, non-radioactive, no licence needed)
• 5523-Ni: Neutraliser Ni-63, 95 MBq (no licence needed, only for environmental applications)
• 5540: Dryer for sheath air, with active carbon absorber for organic trace gases
• 7814: Diffusion dryer for sample air
• 7917: Emission Sampling System (“ESS”, diluter for hot gas)
• Base plates to fix CPC and DMA
• Stable carrying cases for save transport of the system
• 5483: Flow-splitter
• 5515: Set of different impactor nozzles (e.g. to adapt cutpoint for different particle density)
• 5511: Pre-impactor for DMA (to avoid contaminations at high concentrations)
The GRIMM universal software 5477 operates CPCs as counters only, and SMPS systems for measuring size distributions. It can be used for SMPS+C (CPC as detector) or for SMPS+E (Faraday Cup Electrometer, FCE, as detector).
• Measurement of size distributions in stepping mode and in fast scanning mode
• Calculation of size distributions in real time following the standard ISO 15900
• Values of external sensors and service data are integrated.
• Compatible to all 32-/64-bit Windows operating systems (XP or newer)
• Preconfigured on a netbook
• Data loggers and the online transfer of data to internet servers are supported
• Calculation of number, surface, and mass size distributions, optionally with or without various corrections, and several statistical parameters